Jump over the College navigation bar.

Earning College Credit During High School

There are many ways to earn college credit while you're still in high school.

Dual Credit Courses

Some high schools offer the option of taking community college courses which count for credit at both the high school and college level. If you have done so, be sure to submit your official college transcript. It will be reviewed and credit will be awarded as appropriate.

Find out how courses at Illinois community colleges transfer to Illinois State.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

Advanced Placement (AP) is a program sponsored by the College Board that allows high school students to take accelerated classes that may count for college credit. If you take AP courses and get high enough scores on the official exams, you may be awarded course exemption and/or credit. View the list of exams we accept and the scores needed for credit.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program

Sponsored by International Baccalaureate, the program is designed to prepare students for success in the University and beyond in a variety of subjects. A student who has participated in the International Baccalaureate ® Diploma Programme should have his or her scores sent to the University Registrar at Illinois State University. Students with the appropriate scores will be awarded proficiency for specific International Baccalaureate Program work as indicated.  

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

College Level Examination Program tests are another way to earn course exemption and/or credit toward General Education requirements at Illinois State. Learn more about CLEP credit.

State Seal of Biliteracy

Illinois State University also accepts the State Seal of Biliteracy as equivalent to LAN 111 in the languages currently offered at the university. When the seal is granted in a language not offered at Illinois State, four (4) credit hours of lower division foreign language elective will be awarded. In all cases, students must request course credit for their seal within 3 academic years after graduating from high school. Receiving the State Seal of Biliteracy also meets the admissions requirement for foreign language.

Military Service Credit

Students who have served at least one year of active duty and received an honorable discharge may receive six semester hours of elective credit. To qualify for this credit, a copy of the DD214 should be presented with the application for admission. 

Veterans Services can assist you with credit acceptance and other benefits of military service.

Proficiency Examinations

Departmental proficiency examinations are offered in most 100-level and some 200-level courses. If you score high enough on an exam, you may receive credit for the course and/or enroll in a higher level course in that subject. Contact the department for the exam you wish to take. Find out the guidelines for proficiency exams.

2017-09-25T13:50:33.898-05:00 2017