Who We Are
Our students explore the use of wind as an alternative energy source and help children overcoming speech impairments. They exhibit their paintings in the University Galleries and manage a $400,000 investment portfolio. Practical, real-world experiences as student-teachers or nurses prepare them to enter their professions with confidence.
See how you fit in...
Our academic profile
Fall 2012 freshmen:
- Half of admitted freshmen earned ACT composite scores of 22 to 26. A quarter scored 27 or above, and another quarter scored between 18 and 21.
- The average high school grade point average was 3.43 on a 4.0 scale.
Where We Come From
Students come to Illinois State from across the country and around the world, but a majority of our students are from right here in Illinois.
Here are the counties in Illinois which sent the most new beginning freshmen to Illinois State last year:
Enrollment: Then and Now
- 43 students enrolled at Illinois State for the first term in fall 1857. In fall 2012, more than 3,000 new beginning freshman enrolled at the University.
- The first commencement ceremony was held in 1860 for a graduating class of 10. In 2010, the University awarded more than 4,200 bachelor's degrees.
- Enrollment grew from 4,469 in 1960 to 17,549 in 1970. Since the 1970s, the number of students has stayed about the same. In 2011, 21,080 students attended Illinois State, 18,535 of whom were undergraduates.