Jump over the College navigation bar.
stack of papers


Your I-20

Your I-20 is mailed to you by the Office of Admissions when you are admitted to the University. You will need this document throughout the immigration process, including when you enter the United States.

When you receive your I-20, sign your name and provide other required information at the bottom of page 1. Please note: you cannot arrive in the U.S. on your F-1 visa more than 30 days before the program start date listed on your I-20.

SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Fee

Submit your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee and file your I-901 Fee Remittance form. Be sure to print and retain the receipt for payment of the SEVIS fee.

Choose one of the following options to make your SEVIS payment:

  • Online (recommended): Visit U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website to complete the form and pay with a credit card.
  • Western Union: If there is a Western Union location in your country, you may pay the fee in your local currency and file your I-901 form there. You must take your fee payment, completed I-901 form, and other immigration documents to the Western Union location. Learn more about fee payment by Western Union Quick Pay.
  • By mail: Complete the form enclosed with your I-20 and follow the instructions for mailing your payment. Please pay attention to the “Payment by mail” guidelines in the enclosed instructions.

Schedule your F-1 Student Visa Appointment

Next, you must apply for your F-1 student visa through a U.S. Embassy or Consulate by visiting Travel.State.Gov to find the website for the U.S. Consulate closest to you. Review the website of the embassy/consulate where you plan to go for your visa interview for information about scheduling an appointment, for a complete listing of the documents you should bring and if there are any additional fees.

Before leaving your home for your visa interview, be sure to bring the following with you:

  • Your Passport,
  • Original I-20,
  • Acceptance letter from Illinois State University
  • Receipt for payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee, and
  • Proof of financial support.

These documents will also be needed when you travel to the U.S. Please keep them accessible in your carry-on luggage along with documents such as this one or any others that you receive from the Illinois State University.

Please contact the Office of International Studies and Programs if you have questions about immigration.
2017-09-25T13:52:54.259-05:00 2017