Jump over the College navigation bar.
students on campus

U.S. Visa

A visa grants people who are not U.S. citizens permission to enter the United States. You need a visa to study at Illinois State University if you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

The type of visa you get depends on what you plan to do in the U.S.:

  • F-1, also known as a Student Visa, is most common for international students in the U.S. It is meant for people studying at an accredited U.S. university or intensive English language institute.
  • J-1, also known as an Exchange Visitor Visa, is for students participating in educational or cultural exchange programs. Visiting researchers and professors can also be exchange visitors. Learn more about being a visiting scholar.

It's a good idea to visit an EducationUSA office to learn about your options. You should apply for your visa as early as possible to make sure you do not have problems entering the U.S.

The Office of International Studies and Programs assists all international students and scholars with their immigration issues and questions and serves as your primary contact for immigration issues. Email questions or concerns to InternationalStudents@IllinoisState.edu.

Please note, as an international student with F-1 or J-1 visa status, you must be enrolled as a full-time student. That means as an undergraduate student, you must enroll in at least 12 semester hours of classes. To be a full-time graduate student, you must enroll in at least nine semester hours of classes.

2017-09-25T13:52:57.306-05:00 2017