Jump over the College navigation bar.
inside cardinal court apartments

Living at Illinois State

Housing Options

On-campus housing is a great way to get a feel for the American student experience. You will likely have a roommate. Your building will have a computer lab, fitness center, dining options, laundry facilities, elevators, and air conditioning. Living on campus helps international students get involved in the campus community, adjust to American life, and perform better in their classes.

Residence Halls

Students who graduated from high school less than two years ago and will be considered freshman or sophomore students by the University may choose to live in any of the University's residence halls. It is important to note for international students that not all residence halls are open during University breaks. Illinois State's campus offers six residence halls for student living; only Hewett and Manchester are open during breaks.

Information about the different residence halls can be found on the University Housing Services website.

International House Floors

Many international students who live on campus choose to live in International House, a Themed Living-Learning Community located within Manchester Hall. International House, also known as "I-House," encourages cross-cultural understanding through a shared living space and specialized programming. It is a co-educational residence hall, which means both men and women live there. Students share a room with one other person of the same gender.

Apartment Living

Graduate students and upper-class undergraduates (junior and senior students) may choose to live in an off-campus apartment. Illinois State University owns and leases apartments in two complexes which provide cost-effective accommodations for families and single graduate students. You must meet enrollment qualifications to be eligible. Visit University Housing Services to learn more.

Off-Campus Student Services is a good place to start if you’re interested in living off-campus in a privately owned apartment. They list area apartments and houses for rent and make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities as an off-campus student. They’ll even review your lease for you if you’re unsure about the terms. A lease is a legal document most renters are required to sign that states the renter will stay in the apartment and pay the rent for the agreed upon period, usually 9-12 months. Privately owned housing varies widely in price, amenities, and proximity to the University. Students are advised to prepare well in advance if living off campus and to utilize an online mapping service to locate potential apartments in order to determine their proximity to campus.

2017-09-25T13:53:00.634-05:00 2017