Jump over the College navigation bar.

Earning College Credit During High School

There are many ways to earn college credit while your student is still in high school.

Dual Credit Courses

Some high schools offer the option of taking community college courses which count for credit at both the high school and college level. If your student has done so, be sure to submit the official college transcript. It will be reviewed and credit will be awarded as appropriate.

Find out how courses at Illinois community colleges transfer to Illinois State.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

Advanced Placement (AP) is a program sponsored by the College Board that allows high school students to take accelerated classes that may count for college credit. If your student takes AP courses and gets high enough scores on the official exams, he or she may be awarded course exemption and/or credit. View the list of exams we accept and the scores needed for credit.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

College Level Examination Program tests are another way to earn course exemption and/or credit toward General Education requirements at Illinois State. Learn more about CLEP credit.

Credit for Military Service

Students who have served at least one year of active duty and received an honorable discharge may receive six semester hours of elective credit. To qualify for this credit, a copy of the DD214 should be presented with the application for admission. 

Veterans Services can assist with credit acceptance and other benefits of military service.

Proficiency Examinations

Departmental proficiency examinations are offered in most 100-level and some 200-level courses. If your student scores high enough on an exam, he or she may receive credit for the course and/or enroll in a higher level course in that subject. Contact the department for the exam your student wishes to take. Find out the guidelines for proficiency exams.

2017-09-25T13:53:04.602-05:00 2017