Many students describe Illinois State's location as just the right distance from home—close, but not too close. Chicago, St. Louis, Rockford, Indianapolis, and the Quad Cities are all three hours away or less (by car).
- Local bus service, free with student ID, gets students around campus and Bloomington-Normal. Learn more about Bloomington-Normal Public Transit and Illinois State University Redbird Ride.
- Charter bus service is available from the Bone Student Center to Chicago and many other destinations throughout the Midwest. Options include Peoria Charter Coach, Burlington Trailways, and more.
- Just blocks from campus, the Amtrak station provides daily service to Chicago and St. Louis.
- The Central Illinois Regional Airport offers free parking and daily flights to Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and more.
Jobs or Internships
Bloomington-Normal is a great place for students to get an internship or part-time job. The area is home to several large employers and a number of thriving small businesses, especially in the area surrounding campus.
- State Farm Insurance
- Illinois State University
- Country Financial
- Unit 5 Schools (Normal)
- Advocate BroMenn Medical Center
- Mitsubishi Motor Manufacturing
- OSF St. Joseph Medical Center
- McLean County
- AFNI, Inc.
- District 87 Schools (Bloomington)
- Campus Recreation/Student Fitness Center
- Bone Student Center/Braden Auditorium
- University College Academic Advisement
- University Housing
- Campus Dining
- Child care
- Tech support