Who We Are
Our students explore the use of wind as an alternative energy source and help children overcoming speech impairments. They exhibit their paintings in the University Galleries and manage a $400,000 investment portfolio. Practical, real-world experiences as student-teachers or nurses prepare them to enter their professions wiith confidence.
See how you fit in...
Transfer Student Academic Profile
- Students admitted for the 2012 academic year had an average transfer grade point average of 3.1 on a 4.0 scale.
- Transfer students make up almost half of the students who earn undergraduate degrees at Illinois State.
- 77 percent of transfer students come from two-year institutions. 23 percent come from four-year schools.
Where We Come From
Students come to Illinois State from across the country and around the world, but a majority of our students are from right here in Illinois.
Here are the community colleges in Illinois which sent the most transfer students to Illinois State last year:
- Heartland Community College
- Illinois Central College
- College of DuPage
- Parkland College
- Joliet Junior College
- William Rainey Harper College
- Illinois Valley Community College
- Moraine Valley Community College
- College of Lake County
- McHenry County College
Enrollment: Then and Now
- 43 students enrolled at Illinois State for the first term in fall 1857. In fall 2012, nearly 5,000 new students enrolled at the University.
- The first commencement ceremony was held in 1860 for a graduating class of 10. In 2010, the University awarded more than 4,000 bachelor's degrees.
- Enrollment grew from 4,469 in 1960 to 17,549 in 1970. Since the 1970s, the number of students has stayed about the same. In 2011, we had 20,080 students attended Illinois State, 18,535 of whom were undergraduates.