About Illinois State University
Students and scholars from around the world study at Illinois State University. As a public university, we offer outstanding undergraduate and graduate programs in more than 200 fields of study. Illinois State is a great place for international students to experience American education and culture. Illinois State is located in the Midwestern region of the U.S., a part of the country known for traditional American values and lifestyles. In some ways, the Midwest is quite different from the east and west coasts of the U.S., areas with which international students are often more familiar. While there are fewer large cities here, Bloomington-Normal, where the University is located, is a metropolitan area of about 150,000 people and Chicago, our nation's third largest city, is just two hours away from the University. The land in the Midwest is quite flat and very fertile which makes it ideal for agriculture.
You will find a range of support services and organizations to assist you in your adjustment to life on campus and in America.
Strong Academic and Career Preparation
- At Illinois State, students receive individualized attention from professors, 98 percent of whom hold the highest degrees in their field. Find out more about the American education experience.
- Our Career Center assists students in finding internship opportunities to further prepare them for a career in their chosen field.
- Many international students live on-campus in our International House, a dynamic, multicultural living experience, located in a newly renovated residence hall. Learn more about living at Illinois State.
- Illinois State international students build friendships and share experiences through international and cultural events and organizations.
- Our students appreciate the friendly atmosphere at Illinois State. Find out what our students say about the campus community.
Support for Students
- Our friendly and helpful admissions staff answers questions you may have about getting accepted to Illinois State as an international student and reviews student applications.
- The Office of International Studies and Programs guides students as they travel to the U.S., assists with immigration, places new students with temporary host families, and helps students get familiar with Illinois State.